Friday, February 25, 2011

Spirit of Spring

I was inspired by 60F weather, the thawing of ice, and this womans wonderful crochet jewelry to create a Spirit of Spring.  Most of North America and Europe have suffered from a brutal winter; so it is time for this Spirit to heal our hearts.

The meadow scene is one I made last year, about this time.  The dear little owl on the stump is from a free pattern on the Roman Sock blog by Brigitte Read; patterns for the rest of the scene are available here on my blog.

I've never been a big bunny fan, but bunny ears seemed appropriate for a Spring Spirit :-)  They are crocheted directly to her head:
Bunny ears:  Ch11, dc in the back loop of the third ch from the hook, dc in the back loops of each ch to the last two chains, hdc in the back loop of the last two chains, sl st to the head, turn, sl st in the first st, sc in each dc up to the top of the ear, three sc in the turning ch at the top, and sc in the remaining ch on the opposite side back to the begining, with a sl st in the last ch.  Fasten off and leave a long tail to neaten up the ears where they attach to the head.

For her hair, I used Yarn Bee 'Elvish' (appropriate!) from Hobby Lobby.  I must say, it is a bugger to work with; you can't really see the stitches, you have to feel them.  But, being an eyelash yarn, mistakes are well hidden.  I worked the wig cap for several rounds, then tried it on her head to see where I would need to work openings for her ears.  For the ear openings, ch3, skip three sts, sc in the next three, ch3, skip three stitches, sc the rest of the way around.  Work one or two more rounds, then a final round of (ch7, sl st in the next) 10 times, then (ch15, sl st in the next) the rest of the way around.

Her dress is from a lace pattern, worked in two shades of blue/green, with the final round beaded with fringe beads.  The top of the skirt is gathered up with 42 stitches, then a simple bodice is crocheted from spring green.   Size 11 seed beads were used on parts of the flowers and at the waist and neckline of the dress.  The flower patterns were from different sources, but mostly from 'Crochet Bouquet,' a great book of crochet flowers and leaves.


 She is wearing Elven Boots crocheted from size 8 perle cotton.  With a slight modification (in the pattern) they can become Mary Janes.

Today we have four inches of snow, but the Spirit of Spring is here!

24 comments:

  1. Oooooh, how sweet! Just darling! You do such beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Lois! Have a safe journey home; hopefully this latest snow will be melted before you get back :-)

    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  3. She's beautiful. Your inspiring dolls make me wish I knew how to crochet. :) Lovely work. Her hair and her shoes are my favorite parts. Also the owl. The owl is pretty darn cute.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Darling! Please say you would be willing to 'swap' some doilies for a doll!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG She is just wonderful!!!! Beth, I love your work. we sure need a breath of spring here in OHio. we're getting hammered...again....

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love her. She's perfect. We've had Snow this morning, but it's gone now. Thanks for sharing your Spirit of Spring with us.
    Hugz, D'Ann

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gosh, were should i start??? I LOVEEEE ur dolls and Im completly fall in love by ur blog.
    Now, let me congratulate you for your talent, and thank you for sharing your patterns with all crocheters. I learned basic steps of crochet with my mum when i was litle, but just one year ago i done actually something and didnt stop since :) Your dolls are so perfect that Im too afraid of even try to do one!
    Do you sell them? WOULD LOVE TO HAVE ONE :D
    Again, thank you for all! Catarina kkatarina0@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so pretty to me...I really like that yu used flowers...you know I'm a FLOWER fan!Just lovely.

    -Carolyn-

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would like to play with your dolls, they are so beatiful, as always. You are outstanding, =O)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank all of you so very much for your good words! If you don't know how to crochet, it really isn't hard, and I'm sure someone in your Church, or local yarn shop, or at Michaels or Hobby Lobby or your local craft store could teach you. It is well worth learning. There is nothing so satisfying as making something with your own hands.

    The basic Pocket Spirit doll is crocheted from very simple stitches, and then you can embellish her to your hearts content. Give it a try!

    Joyce, I always treasure your good words. Ellen, if it isn't Spring outside, it is time to make some inside :-)

    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello Beth,
    Stopping by to see more of your wonderful handiwork. She's perfect for spring.
    I'm still working squares for the doll houses and discovered I must make two. I feel the grand-daughters will each want their own house.
    Thank you so much for your inspiring dolls.
    'til next time,
    Connie

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beth you have done it again and made a wonderful doll cant wait to see a Autumn version! She is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  13. oh my God she's so beautiful ^-^ greatttt a big kiss from italy

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you all so much for your good words :-) As Joyce suggested, I do plan to make a Winter, Summer, and Fall. But, I just had to do Spring first; we need it!

    Connie, I hope you share your dollhouses when they are done!

    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  15. What can I add to all of the compliments? She is enchanting, you work magic with the crochet needle, Never ever seen such darling crochet dolls!
    And the meadow scene is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Helen, your comments warm my heart :-)

    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beth,
    Do you sell any of your dolls?
    Could you e-mail me?
    susanvant@msn.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. She is beautiful. You inspired to make my own version of a Spring Doll ...

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/dollsbyliz/

    ReplyDelete
  19. hola tu blog es extraordinario me gusta todo lo que haces te sigo desde ushuaia, tierra del fuego, argentina, mi blog es www.ushuaiacrochet.blogspot.com tus muñecas son hermosas gracis por compartirlas

    ReplyDelete
  20. Words cannot express the charm your have given to this little dolly. Thank you Beth!.....Sally

    ReplyDelete
  21. Aw, thank you, Sally :-)

    Beth

    ReplyDelete