Thursday, February 11, 2016

New Day, New Doll Pattern

 I was surfing through Etsy yesterday, just looking at all the offerings for crochet patterns.  So much wonderful, wonderful creativity!  Anyway, I saw this doll pattern:  Jane Doll and, well, I just had to have her :-)  Look at those wonderfully shaped shoulders, and the sweet, slim body lines.

5-23-2023 Sadly, this Etsy seller is no longer available  

I made the doll as written, except to make the head separate from the torso and give her a move-able head with a neck stub (you can find how I do this in several posts on this blog).  The pattern is exceptionally well written, with lots of construction photo's and detailed information.  Particularly nice is the detail given to making her full and lovely head of hair.

Ebony Jane

My Ebony Jane is crocheted with sportweight wool yarn and a size 1 steel hook.  I used Knit Picks Wool of the Andes sport in Chestnut, Blossom Heather, and Peapod.  Her hair is a combination of three yarns:  Knit Picks Wool of the Andes Sport in Fairytale, Plymouth Yarns Alpaca Boucle and Classic Elite Yarn Pirouette, a lace weight mohair.  It took about 120  16 inch strands to cover her head.

Ebony Jane is 9 1/4 inches tall  before being wigged.  Her arm articulation is accomplished with twisted pipe cleaners.  I am looking forward to many enjoyable hours making her a wardrobe, and some sista's :-)

12 comments:

  1. Awesome! I love your Ebony Jane!!! I love how you made her head too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kelly! You created a brilliant pattern; those shoulders are just to die for :-)

      warmly,

      Beth

      Delete
  2. Verdaderamente los hombros son maravillosos. Tu Ebony Jane es adorable ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ¡Gracias! Este es un patrón maravilloso :-)

      con gusto,

      Beth

      Delete
  3. Thanks to your blog I finally picked up a crochet booklet and taught myself to crochet. Since I knew how to knit it wasn't too great a leap but reading patterns is proving to be a bit more difficult. The dolls with the floral cross stitching just put the desire to learn over the top for me as I also love embroidery, cross stitch and other kinds of needlework. I came across this one pattern on Etsy which I also had to buy even though I have so many projects on my to do list by you! But she was too adorable to ignore: So Cute Dolly by Teri Crews Designs. Who could resist those pig tails? I also do like the use of safety eyes in these designs, though I can see why some fiber purists might not. With life being as trying as it can be it's nice to find a small spot like this that generates warmth and beauty. Thank you for your generosity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words, and I am beyond delighted that this blog played a part in your learning to crochet!

      Creating something with your hands, be it crochet, knit, sew, or any other medium, is satisfying and gives us a measure of control over the vagaries of life.

      warmly,

      Beth

      Delete
  4. This is a cute doll, and her shoulders do look lovely. I love your moveable heads Beth. I'll have to do this after I finish your Ami dolls, I made the small, now I'm working on the bigger size. The moveable heads give them such character. I have to make this one, with the review you gave it - I consider you the expert!
    You got me hooked on these lovely dolls!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your lovely words :-) Dollmaking is addictive; I'm so glad you've been 'hooked!'

      warmly,

      Beth

      Delete