Thursday, February 17, 2011

Do you knit?

If you do, you are in luck!  I found this book in our public library and instantly fell in love with Fiona's dolls.  So much so, that I had to purchase her book (from Amazon ) even though I cannot knit a stitch :-)

There are nine dolls in all, ranging in size from just under 20 inches to just over 23  inches tall.  They have the most amazing faces, and you know how hard it is to create a pleasing face on crochet or knit fabric.  Fiona shows you a great way to do this, her instructions are simple and easy to follow.

The dolls have an extensive, removable wardrobe they can share (love that), cool hair, and great accessories.  What more can I say?

Oh yes, Fiona has a website, and has recently posted a free pattern for a 'chibi' girl; a petite knit girl that is way cute.  Check out  Fiona McDonald's blog here.

Normally I would say 'enjoy the crochet,' but instead I'll leave you with  'pick up those sticks!'

11 comments:

  1. And here am I thinking I'll get out my old crochet hook and try one of Beth's darlings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, I love them! You know how much I love dolls! You also know that I am teaching myself to crochet so I can make dolls from your patterns, now you are making me want to learn to knit so I can make these!!!

    xoxo Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yes; I'm going to head down to my local yarn shop and see if anyone there would like to try to teach me to knit :-) I had an aunt tell me (when I was about 10) that knitting was 'too difficult' for me to learn. Thank goodness my Grandmother did not feel that way about teaching me to crochet.

    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have coveted this book. I saw it on Amazon but I can't knit to save my life:(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, like you i do not knit but seeing this book i think it's time i learned.i'm definitly checking out her web site. thanks Beth for sharing a wonderful find! ~Anne~

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Beth, i checked out Fiona's website. Her dolls are beautiful!. i also googled how to knit. i found out that there is two styles of knitting, english and continental. the continental seems to be alot like crocheting. My mother knits english style. i may have to try each way to see what works better. :D ~Anne~

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Anne,

    I thought her little Chibi doll was a delight, as well as her many other creations. I'm going to take a brief lesson at my local yarn shop, just to get jump-started on knitting :-)

    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like these dolls and I would like to knitt one of these big ones.I hope I will be able to buy this book if it is translated in czech. I would understand english, but can´t buy abroad. I have knitt a few travel dolls acording to her free pattern.They were reason why I skipped from crocheting your teacup doll. But I have to say I have finished one waiting for face and hair and clothes and the second one needs to finish legs and feet. So I am waiting patiently and admiring all dolls done by the others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anna,

      I want to knit Fiona's travel doll as well, as soon as I get back to knitting. It is nice to be able to do both :-)

      Beth

      Delete