Friday, June 1, 2012

Magdalena's secret

This adorable little amigurumi (about nine inches tall) is from a free pattern offered by Owlishly, which you can get here:

5-23-20203  Sadly this seller is no longer in business

But Magdalena has a secret!  I've been wondering if the same head-jointing technique used in cloth doll making would work for a crochet doll, and the answer is YES!

As you can see from the pictures above, Magdalena can move her head around, and this joint is super-easy.  No need for buttons, acrylic eyes, or teddy bear joints, just a very firmly crocheted and stuffed head and a slight modification to the body in the neck area, and you have it made :-)


Start by making your doll with a separate head.  Leave the bottom of the head open, about the size of a dime, instead of closing it.  Crochet the head very tightly, and stuff very firmly.  This is key to making this technique work.

Make the body starting at the neck, and work two or three narrow rounds that will fit tightly into the head opening when the neck is stuffed.  I start from the neck so that I can stuff it very firmly.  The rest of the body you can follow whatever instructions you have.


Thread a very long dollmaking needle with a double strand of your body yarn.  Starting at the top of the head, insert the needle straight through and come out at the hole in the bottom of the head.  Insert the needle through the neck, and back into the hole at the bottom of the head and exit out the top of the head.

Pull the yarn ends at the top of the head evenly and gently and draw the neck stub into the head opening.  Pull tightly and seat the head firmly on the neck, then tie the yarn ends in a double knot.  Bury the ends in the head.

And now you have a simple, move-able head for your amigurumi!

A more detailed picture tutorial is here:

Simple move-able neck jointing for your Amigurumi

Magdalena says 'Hi!'

For more patterns by Owlishly, visit her Etsy store here:

Owlishly

A link to her store is also on the left sidbar of this blog under 'Links I Love.'

Enjoy the crochet!

23 comments:

  1. Oh, Beth, your Magdalena is adorable! Thanks for sharing all your wonderful doll techniques.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a wonderful doll again,. Ik be looking at you site for a long time and i love all your creations

    bay bay Joke

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh My Goodness...she is waaaay to cute!

    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Adorable doll! Genius technique!

    ReplyDelete
  5. She came out soooo adorable!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much for all your good words!

    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brilliant! And, such cuteness! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a clever joining, I must try that out! Never seen that before. And the darling doll is so sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Simply adorable. I do like Owlishy patterns, they really are very cute.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My 5-yr old saw this and is delighted with it--Magdalena looks just like her little sister! Your site makes me wish I had more time to create.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you so much, Lois, Anita, Moleymakes, and anon :-)

    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  12. She is absolutely beautiful !

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your dolls and techniques! I'm glad to have found you. I can hardly wait to try your patterns :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you very much for your kind words, Liz and AngelRose :-)

    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is the coolest thing I've seen! The doll is cute, but I think the moveable-ness of her head adds a special charm to her. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wouah ! I'm french and my english is not very good, sorry !
    All is beautifull !
    Thank you for all !!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Is wonderfull, hae you got the patter in spanish?? can yo sent it to me??? me e-mail is brchocarro@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Trix, there is a link to the pattern in the blog post, and the instructions for making the head move-able are just in the post. I'm not sure if the pattern is offered in Spanish.

      Beth

      Delete
  18. Love your doll and technique! I wanted to know is this technique only applicable to small dolls like the one you demonstrated in your post?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Yvonne,

      I use this technique for all of the dolls I make, from 5" to 12". I don't usually make dolls larger than this. If you crochet very tight, and stuff the neck stub very well, and make it longer for a larger doll, it should work on just about any doll you make.

      warmly,

      Beth

      Delete
  19. This doll is so cute, the moving head gives it an extra charm. It is a shame that the link for the pattern says it is not available anymore :(

    ReplyDelete