Friday, September 25, 2009

Edwardian Nightgowns


Well, the Edwardian Free Spirit's trousseau is almost complete. The girls now have their choice of nightgowns. The nightgown on the left is done with a love knot stitch. Once you get the hang of it, it isn't difficult, but it can be a bit tough to visualize. If you want to try this stitch, I recommend heading to Crochet Pattern Central to their stitch dictionary and take a look at the stitch there. Their site is listed in 'Links I Love.'

The nightgown on the right is done with a chain and picot stitch. Easy stitches, and gives a nice, lacy effect. Both of these nightgowns were stitched with Aunt Lydia's Bamboo Crochet Thread. It was the first time I had used this thread, and it is lovely. It has a matte finish and a wonderful drape.

The patterns for the nightgowns can be found here:

Edwardian Nightgown

Or on the left hand side of the blog page under Free Spirit Patterns.


Now we can snuggle in to bed in our cozy nightgowns :-) Enjoy the stitching!

7 comments:

  1. OK, so you got your own three ring binder today. I'm wondering what makes her trousseau complete? And I bought new yarn today for another doll. Sigh...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I think every girl needs a nice nightgown, and underwear, and several dresses, plus shoes and socks. Of course, there are all kinds of dresses to make :-)

    Enjoy the crochet, Kate!

    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beth, Thank you for sharing these awesome patterns! If we have questions (troubleshooting) Do we ask you here?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, if you have questions just post here...I check comments every couple of days.

      Thank you for your good words :-)

      Beth

      Delete
  4. That's great! Thank you! This will be difficult to explain without you seeing it. But I'll do my best. I'm crocheting the sleeves on the Picot Stitch Nightgown. The part I'm having trouble with, is at the part where it says: (picot, ch5, skip next sc, sc in BLO of the next sc) across to the first ch of underarm on the opposite side of the armhole; sc in this ch, ch5, turn.

    I'm assuming that means to continue all the way around, across the armpit to where you first joined your thread with a sc? At this point, am I supposed to sc into the chain before that very first sc?

    I hope I made sense. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, the first two rows of the sleeve are not joined, you work back and forth, so when you get to the end of row one and it says to sc in the first chain of the underarm on the opposite side of the armhole, you sc in this chain, ch5, and turn. Do not join. Then work row 2 across and again, do not join to the beginning of row 2 but chain and turn. You will join up the sleeve at the underarm on row 3, then proceed to work in rounds.

      If this seems overly complicated, you could just work the sleeve in rounds; I'm pretty sure it would look about the same :-)

      Hope this helps,

      Beth

      Delete
  5. Ahh, thank you, Beth! You are so kind and patient. :)

    ReplyDelete