Saturday, April 16, 2016

Another wonderful doll pattern

Columbine was made from a wonderful crochet doll pattern which is available on Ravelry.  The pattern is Yun Shu.  She is crocheted in sport weight yarn with a size C (2.5mm) crochet hook.  She stands about 7.5 inches tall.

As you can see, she is a very slender-bodied doll, so she is easy to dress by pulling her clothing up over her feet.  

I made Columbine's eyes with size 8 perle cotton and a size 7 steel hook; they turned out about 3/8 inch in diameter.

I made a few tweaks to the pattern, so she would be a bit easier for me to make.  Following are the changes I made to the pattern:

1. I eliminated the foot and added one stitch to the width of the leg up to the second increase, then worked per the pattern.

2. I added one stitch to the width of the arm.

3. I did not use a wire armature; instead, I stuffed the legs as I crocheted, after each six or seven rows up to the hips. If you want the doll to be able to sit, do not stuff clear to the top of the leg...leave a little space with no stuffing so the legs can move freely.

4. For the arms, I stuffed a ball of stuffing in the end for the hand, then did not stuff the rest of the arm.

5. By adding a stitch to the width of each arm, I ended up with two extra stitches at the shoulder. Decrease these out in the first decrease row after attaching the arms, then work the shoulders as written.

6. For a move-able head, I worked the shoulders down to eight stitches, then worked several rows on these eight stitches for a neck stub (to fit up inside the head)

7. For the head, I left a hole at the bottom (neck end) of the head eight stitches around, then worked the head as written. I stuffed the head through this hole; it is small but doable.

8. For the eyes,  I used perle cotton size 8 for the eyes, and the eyes ended up being about 3/8 of an inch across.




9. For the hair, I made a three-round wig cap of 8sc, 16sc, 20sc, then worked the strands as written. I used the extra stitch to make one more bang strand.


Enjoy the crochet!






23 comments:

  1. Another sweet doll! Her eyes turned out great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. buen trabajo, y buen post.
    Gracias, bet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gracias por sus amables palabras :-)

      con gusto,

      Beth

      Delete
  3. Ohhhh!!! Es irresistible!!! No sé si conoces mi blog (http://blogdezulueta.blogspot.com.es/), yo lo hago todo chiquitico :), con gancho de 0,7 mm Voy a intentar hacer la muñequita, me encanta!!! Mi problema es que no sé adaptar patrones :( Te enseñaré qué es lo que consigo :)
    Un beso! Envidio tus manos para el ganchillo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gracias por las palabras dulces. Voy a comprobar su blog :-) Adaptación de patrones sólo toma un poco de práctica.

      con gusto,

      Beth

      Delete
  4. Beth,

    A fantastic spring time inspiration! I love her sweet overhauls.

    ~Anne~

    ReplyDelete
  5. ¡¡¡Es preciosa!!!. Gracias por el enlace.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Beth,

    What a darling doll!

    I couldn't find an email for you to answer your question.

    My husband is Chief Engineer (Maritime Marine Engineer) and I get to travel with him. RHIP - just like in the military.

    Hugs,
    Lois

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow!! That is indeed awesome. I'm a Mechanical Engineer, but I don't think we are talking nearly the same thing :-)

      warmly,

      Beth

      Delete
  7. So cute !!!! Congratulations !

    ReplyDelete
  8. How did I miss this lovely girl? Love her outfit, she looks ready for anything.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for making her. She is beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank YOU for your wonderful doll pattern! I am in love with Yun Shu :-)

      warmly,

      Beth

      Delete
  10. Je viens de terminer ma poupée yun shu j'adore le modèle Merci je vais la refaire ma fille de 8 ans est contente il me reste la garde robe a faire merci infiniment de partager avec nous vos modèles de poupée au crochet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. J’aime aussi ce modèle !

      chaleureusement,

      Beth

      Delete