Friday, September 10, 2021

When We Die


My sister and brother and I have been clearing out our Father's home, since he can no longer safely live there alone.  Dismanteling a lifetime of love, laughter, tears, and grief.  Our Mother died seven years ago, and our Father is dying by degrees, losing his memory, and having his liberty robbed from him by dementia, and those who love him.

These thoughts have been swirling around in my head and finally came together as this:

Lately I've given Death a lot of thought:
What comes before, what awaits after.
Are we consigned to a pit of fire and flame
Or absolute oblivion?
Or to wander, silent and unseen?

There was a Man, years ago, who knew
To where we go.
The Kingdom of God is within, he said,
There is no kingdom of the dead.
When my Mother died, she did not depart

To some far country, but remains in my heart.
When I die I will go to that place
Where what was done poorly, is forgiven;
What was done well, will be celebrated;
And I will dwell within this Kingdom forever.




 

10 comments:

  1. Preciosos pensamientos. Cuando se van los padres te replanteas muchas cosas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mom is 86 and she lives with me. Dr let me know she is having a little dementia going on. I hope it doesn't get to bad. She is my last parent alive as my dad died when I was 12 (1984.) My thoughts are with you as I know how it feels.

      Delete
  2. Im sorry your Father and family are experiencing this. It renders the heart. My Mom loved music, it would calm and soothe her like nothing else. There is no world for the dead because its just our flesh that falls away, our Spirit soars. I saw and felt this happen with my Mom. It was beautiful. Much love and strength to you, prayers up. ❤️🌀❤️🙏

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beth sorry to hear about your Dad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Danke für die Worte, die Kraft und Ruhe geben. Alles Gute und liebe Grüße Regina

    ReplyDelete
  5. My Husband the love of my life has dementia now for 10 years. His short term memory is very short and we have become a very tight unit, me filling in what is missing. He had some very difficult years at first accepting the diagnosis and I had a hard time recognizing the man I married but the last 3 years have been some of the best years of our marriage. We love each other and God has been so generous to us.

    The most amazing thing is that as we slowly watch him lose parts of himself there is one area that instead of loss there is growth. I have been praying for him for over 30 years to find the faith that gives peace and now he is growing in leaps and bounds and after all these years we are sharing in a very profound way that part of ourselves that will last forever and when he goes I know I will see him in that Kingdom.

    The Kingdom you spoke of is so much more than within. It is a place that is available to us now and when we die and that Man mentioned is Jesus the God of the universe and through Him we have access to His Kingdom that is eternal and perfect. Our part is to admit to our failure and sin and to recognize that He is the only way into that Kingdom.
    So I have some understanding of what you are going thru and know that someone is praying for you out here

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so sorry to hear this. I will be praying for your dad and the rest of your family as well. It is a sad way to go. (((hugs))) Kim

    ReplyDelete
  7. So sorry to hear this, Beth. I know it’s a tough thing to deal with. I hope your siblings and extended family are some comfort right now. Please send them my love if you get a chance.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I want to thank all of you for your kind words and compassion. I know we are not the only family to ever go through this kind of heart ache, but it is the first time for us. Bless you all.

    warmly,

    Beth

    ReplyDelete