Tuesday, June 13, 2023

"Not Recommendable" by Facebook

 

Artwork by J R R Tolkien


I am a tremendous fan of all the works of J R R Tolkien.  I love the movies, and I love the new Amazon Prime Rings of Power streaming show.

So I decided, with some encouragement from like-minded friends, to create a Facebook Page to celebrate all things Tolkien.  His own words, his own art, my words, my photography, and such topics that I feel to be relavant to Tolkien.  My page is known as 'Marigold Brandyfoot'


Today, Facebook publishes on my page the following statement:

Your Page is not recommendable
Content on your Page is preventing it from being suggested to people. Let's help you be recommendable again.

What???  Two days ago, I did a post regarding the banning of books, asking when the books of Tolkien might find themselved banned from middle and high school libraries.  This is the only thing I can think of that would have lead to the above chastisment from Facebook.  Interestingly, a sense of censorship here.

If you would like to journey with me in Middle Earth, and celebrate its beauty, and grieve at its hurts, you can follow my page here:

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100088661962619

Here is a sample post from June 4:

“I am (obviously) much in love with plants and above all trees, and always have been; and I find human maltreatment of them as hard to bear as some find ill-treatment of animals.” JRR Tolkien


Please join me, in Middle Earth.  Thank you.  signed....Marigold Brandyfoot.


11 comments:

  1. Beth- Sorry this happened to you . I'm also a fan of Tolkien. Alice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the good words, Alice! warmly, Beth

      Delete
  2. Not sure why I can't comment using my Google account, because I'm not trying to be Anonymous, and want to show support for your FB Middle Earth page - what fun! Thanks for posting the link here, or I wouldn't have found it - and commented there! Mary J Rupert

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your support, Mary! I saw your comment on my post on Facebook! warmly, Beth

      Delete
  3. This is so nice. I have joined :*!
    Huggs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, for joining and for your lasting friendship! warmly, Beth

      Delete
  4. I am joining. I’m a fan too. As for FB comment makes no sense whatsoever. Regards, Joyce Gloria

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, my dearest friend. I guess we can't talk about banning books on Facebook pages...what a shame. I am happy to have you join me on this adventure!

      Delete
  5. Opps I did not see where I could comment here but I have seen and read and posted public and asking all to share- Hope it helps- I too get "focused" on but I say things I know is not like and have been told I have a big mouth- Going to try now! Thank you for everything- not only your designs but your heart- it shows in each design and sentence you type to others <3 Ladnea-

    ReplyDelete
  6. Unfortunately FB have been banning and hiding peoples pages, comments and posting a lot of late, in particular the last three years. Censorship is on a major scale, people just haven't been realising it (in part because they haven't been able to see it!) I will follow your page because it annoys me immensely this happens. There are far worse things and pages out there that suit the current 'narrative' that are allowed to be posted etc... I don't use FB much as I really dislike the platform and if it weren't for a few friends who aren't really contactable in other ways I wouldn't be on it any longer as I really don't like the way they operate so probably won't comment much but I will try :) I love Tolkien and The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings are among the first books I read as a very young child. My grandparents sent them to NZ to me from England as at that time books were very expensive there, and it was cheap to send them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lorraine! It is so lovely to hear from you! I think of you often, every time I look at the Hitty you so lovingly made for me.

      Facebook is the last remaining social media outlet I use, and mainly because that is where my friends are. That a post on banning books could make me 'unrecommendable' is laughable, and frightening. I am delighted that you will follow...I have loved Tolkien since I first read him in college. I am profoundly worried about how we are treating our own Middle Earth.

      Take care! warmly, Beth

      Delete